A free and open-source video editing tool, Avidemux is known for non-linear video editing and transcoding features. The application aims to help users “do elementary things in a straightforward way.”
But does it stand up to its word? Does it offer enough features to regard the application or should you consider other video editing tools in place of Avidemux? Well, read on to find whether Avidemux is the tool for you or not. In case if you find Avidemux to not have the things you’re looking for — rest easy — there are also some alternatives to Avidemux mentioned in this guide.
Part 1: Top Things You Must Know About Avidemux For PC
What launched as a simple tool for simple video processing tasks has become one of the most popular video editing platforms in the video editing realm. And for a reason: the software is free and has a straightforward interface. The simplicity of the application — and no charges — is what attracts non-professionals and beginners to the platform. Needless to say, even the experts like the application and prefer Avidemux above everything if they have to perform simple video editing tasks like cutting, merging, splitting, or transcoding.
The Avidemux 2.6 application is available across all platforms, i.e., Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Specially designed for performing simple tasks like cutting, merging, splitting, and filtering the video contents.
- The Video editing platform Avidemux supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4, and ASF, using a variety of codecs.
- You can pause the tasks or automate them by emp
- loying the powerful scripting capabilities of Avidemux 2.6.
Pros of Avidemux:
- Simple interface that suits non-professionals and beginners well
- All basic video editing options are present
- Supports multiple formats — be it the audio, video, or subtitles
Cons of Avidemux:
- Lacks advanced video editing options
- Limited export options — no social share options whatsoever
Avidemux System Requirements:
Windows, macOS, or Linux
- Processor: x86-64
- RAM 256 MB
- Memory: 0.25 GB
How To Use Avidemux Video Editor?
To utilize Avidemux — you will have to download Avidemux on the computer. Once installed, open the application and follow these simple steps to learn how to use Avidemux Video Editor:
Step 1. Trim Videos using Avidemux
Choose the video file that you want to trim, split, or cut — and ensure you’re in “Copy” mode. This avoids re-encoding and saves a lot of time.
Move around and choose the frame that you want to trim. Mark — A — to apply markers. Use the timeline to progress and choose — B — mark the end of the desired section.
Step 2. Merge Videos using Avidemux
Add the file that you want to merge and select Append from the file menu. You can add other files and click on Ctrl+S to merge the files.
Step 3. Rotate Videos using Avidemux
- Click File and Open, then select the video that you want to Rotate. You can also choose the format of the video.
- From the File drop-down, select VIDEO OUTPUT.
- Next, select Filter from the left-hand side of the screen, then click Transform in the pop-up Windows.
- On clicking Transform, select Rotate, then finally click on the rotate option and hit OK to verify the process.
There you go; of course, you will find tons of other options and can do a lot more with Avidemux. However, the above steps must have given you a simple idea of how the Avidemux portable tool works.
Part 2: Most Effective Alternatives To Avidemux For PC
These are the best alternatives to Avidemux for PC:
Filmora is the most popular tried-and-true platform for video editing. The app incorporates advanced options yet it is simple to use. With Filmora, you will find fun with every click. And be it the Green screen, color correction, video effects — you could do all these easily with Filmora. But the best thing about Filmora is the regular updates from the vendor. For instance, the recent updates have brought cool features like new video templates, AI-driven functions for portraits, and picking footage automatically.
- Cloud Files to synchronize multiple files and use them across applications.
- Filmstock library integration with 20000 effects on Filmstock without leaving Filmora
- Auto Reframe to recreate the same video in different aspect ratios in an instant — will be useful on the social media platforms
- Audio effects to apply special effects to the video with the music and sound
- Optimized project page to quickly access when opening and operating Filmora
Pros of Filmora:
- The software is intuitively built to aid beginners and experts alike
- You can export the videos into multiple formats
- Multi-lingual — to help users whose native language is not English
- Filmora provides you with tons of advanced options that you could employ in your videos easily
Cons of Filmora:
- Filmora is among the most celebrated video editing platforms out there for a reason: it does not have any cons, at least compared to Avidemux.
PowToon is a cloud-based animation software for creating animated presentations and explainer videos. So, in case you are looking for something along these lines — this is the software for you. There are tons of readymade templates — both for video-making and presentation-making — that you could utilize to save time. Or, you could also start from scratch if need be. And although everything PowToon is simple and fun — the vendors have attached a lot of free tutorials for you to view whenever you’re struck.
- Tons of readymade video templates for you to create videos without limits
- Powerful integrations like PowerPoint, Canva, Adobe, HubSpot to aid your business well
- Animated video figures to reduce the video editing time by a great length
Pros of PowToon:
- The simplicity of the software will impress you
- Tutorials will help you walk through every step easily
Cons of PowToon:
- Lacks advanced video editing options like Filmora, Final Cut Pro, and other advanced editing tools
Famous for its AI with its proprietary Visual IntelligenceTM Technology, AnyClip is one of the best video editing tools out there. Famous among the business industries — AnyClip could extract all the useful data from the video on its own. There is also a host location to edit and organize videos from one central location. You can create a video portal to distribute your videos anywhere easily.
- Turbocharge contextual targeting with data-rich content.
- Leverage compelling merchandising tools to monetize the video.
- Drive transaction and engagement with dynamic overlays.
Pros of AnyClip:
- Uses algorithms for you to extract data from videos easily
- The software is used by many influential companies including Samsung, Microsoft, Tencent, and more
Cons of AnyClip:
- Not a regular video editing platform — Filmora on the other hand is the tool you need to create stunning looking professional videos, i.e. if you do not have business-related tasks at your hand
HandBrake is the tool you need to create stunning-looking videos from any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs. Being an open-source platform, HandBrake is pretty much similar to Avidemux in a lot of ways. You will find similar features like Avidemux, and like it — the interface of the software is easy and fun.
- Supports multiple file containers
- Tons of video Filters: Deinterlacing, Decomb, Denoise, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping, and scaling
- Closest application — in terms of features — to Avidemux
- Simple-to-use platform
- Of course, like Avidemux — advanced video editing options are missing
5. Final Cut Pro X
Apple’s Final Cut Pro X is like any other Apple product. Fast, feature-filled, and exquisite. Be it the basic features, advanced, or native features — Final Cut Pro X is loved by the industry experts for incorporating features that led them to work on the tiniest of details.
- All advanced editing options like layer-based editing, working on multiple timelines, color correction, and more.
- All basic video editing options like cutting, trimming, merging, and more.
- Used by the experts
- Incorporated A-Z video editing functions
- A learning curve that must be mastered.
Part 3: FAQs
Is Avidemux video editor safe to use?
Yes. Avidemux is one of the most popular for its dedicated transcoding excellency in the video realm. You could utilize it without any worry but ensure to download the application from the official source.
Is Avidemux Video Editor Free?
Does Avidemux Video Editor Have Watermarks?
Being open-source and entirely free — it does not leave any Watermark on the videos.
Avidemux Windows or Avidemux Linux is a considerable video editing tool as long as you want to perform only basic tweaks to the videos. However, if you are looking for advanced options, plus a simple interface, then it is best to stick to the alternatives mentioned in this list, like Wondershare Filmora. Filmora, as mentioned, is one of the most advanced video editing tools that have a simple-to-use interface, meaning you could edit videos like a pro disregarding whether you’re a beginner or non-professional.
Still, if editing, cutting, merging, and changing the format is what you are after — then Avidemux could be helpful too.