Part 1: How to back up the iPhone to an external hard drive with iTunes?
Now, let’s start with how to transfer files from iPhone to an external hard drive using iTunes to get the best result.
Step 1: Close iTunes and Finder
Close off the iTunes and Finder on your Mac.
Step 2: Give the mentioned command
Post-launch the Finder. Type the system command for cmd + shift + G. then you need to put as mentioned below in the path: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/
Step 3: Go to the Backup folder
After typing in the path, a window will pop up> Tap on the Backup folder to copy.
Step 4: Navigate to the new folder of the external drive
Navigate to the external hard drive’s new folder to paste the copied Backup folder.
Step 5: Wait for completing the process
It can be a time-consuming process to copy a large amount of data directly. But you will be successfully able to backup your iPhone to an external hard drive without any hassle.
Step 6: Complete process
Now the iPhone backup data transferring process has been completed. If you wish, you can rename the original files in the Finder.
- Wide range of features.
- Integrates with the iCloud
- A convenient way to manage files.
- Every update makes it more and more space-eating.
- It can be inconvenient.
Part 2: How to back up iPhone to an external hard drive without iTunes?
Suppose you are looking to transfer your iPhone data like photos, music, messages, and contacts, or more from iPhone to an Apple external hard drive for iPhone or vice versa. We have mentioned some specific ways, including steps for operating, to easily track and apply the steps to get your desired result. Use the advanced features that will allow you to transfer data in lesser clicks. Let us dive into it.
1. AnyTrans for iOS
AnyTrans is an intelligent alternative to iTunes, a backup manager that helps in backing up the iPhone to an external drive. It has offered an in-built Media Downloader to the users so that you can easily download video and audio directly from up to 900 sites.
Don’t have enough tech-knowledge of operating? No worries! AnyTrans for iOS doesn’t require any professional skill as it offers an easy-to-use interface. This versatile manager helps you store all your info without any restriction of iTunes because it will provide you the control to operate your music and playlist. Back up your texts, iMessages, and WhatsApp chat histories and restore them whenever you want to. With a single click, batch all downloaded apps and install them from your computer. AnyTrans for iOS offers a free trial for seven days. You can get the paid version at $9.99 per month.
- Data migration across devices seamlessly.
- Offers a pro backup manager to keep content safe.
- An in-built Media Downloader allows download directly from 900+ sites.
- Schedule instant backups of iPhone devices timely and wireless.
- Manage all types of content of iTunes and iCloud.
Step 1: Install AnyTrans
Connect your iPhone to the Mac and then open AnyTrans.
Step 2: Select data and back up
Tap on the Backup Manager and view the list of data to back up. Tick the boxes and specify all file categories selectively or select all. Select your external drive as the target source. Click on the Next option to back up.
Step 3: Finalize the process
After backing up, you will see them on your external drive.
- Great effectiveness of performance.
- Easy-to-use interface.
- Highly stable and smooth.
- Average rating on support.
- The trial version doesn’t offer much.
2. iMyFone TunesMate iPhone Transfer
With iMyFone TunesMate iPhone Transfer, you can transfer and even backup data to an external hard drive for iPhone 11 to the latest 12 version. You can easily sync the iTunes library to iOS, edit and rebuild the previously damaged iTunes library. You can move videos, photos, music, playlists, podcasts, and 14+ more types of data. With this flexible iOS transfer, you can free your iOS data from iTunes limitations. TunesMate can enrich your iTunes library from unlimited devices. With one click, you can merge different iTunes libraries automatically together. You can organize your funny video clips, music videos, movies, TV shows, etc. You can also delete unwanted photos from Camera Roll or My Photo Stream as well as unnecessary apps. iMyFone offers a Basic Plan individually for 1 PC and a 1 Year duration at $29.95.
- Transfer files (audio) between iOS devices and iTunes or PC.
- Import, export, and remove your contents.
- Allows you to manage or delete your unwanted apps conveniently.
- Merge iTunes libraries and share without having any limitations.
- Without overwriting the old data, sync the iTunes library to iOS.
Step 1:Connect devices and select category
iMyFone iPhone Transfer and launch on your computer. Connect iPhone to external hard drive into your computer. At the top, click the Videos tab and select the videos that you want to transfer.
Step 2: Export
Click Export>Export to PC or Mac option to proceed.
Step 3: Choose the folder
A browser window will pop up to choose where you want to store the videos. Select your external hard drive location, browse for the folder in the external drive, and put in the videos. Then, click Select Folder to start.
- Effortlessly transfer files.
- Useful for the deletion of unwanted media files.
- Back up all the data and restore the backup selectively.
- Not completely free to use.
3. EaseUS MobiMover Pro
With EaseUSMobiMover, customize the iPhone backup location, save all data backing up the iPhone to the hard drive directly, transfer files to or from your iOS devices, and download videos on social sites via URL. Send music from your PC to iOS devices by using this 1-Click transfer within a few seconds. It has a Technician version for the usages of IT Professionals or companies so that they can meet business demand for various licensing. You can get fast access to all functions. Technician version can also unlock your iPhone/iPad lock screen if accidentally you forgot the device passcode. For business, it is a cost-effective content transferring solution and transfer data from multiple computers. For Windows, EaseUS MobiMover Pro offers a 1-Month plan at $23.95, a 1-Year at $29.95. For Mac, it has a 1-Month at $29.95, a 1-Year at $39.95.
- Transfer any data between two iOS devices.
- Migrate content from your iOS device, including iPhone and iPad, to a computer.
- Offer a comprehensive solution for managing iPhone and iPad files.
- Back up existing contents and restore the backup.
- Support the latest version of iOS 14 carried on series of iPhone 12.
Step 1: Go for backing up
Connect your iPhone to a PC via a USB cable, go to “Backup Manager, ” and “Back up.”
Step 2: Select content
Check the content to backup> Tap “Select” to change the location of your backup iPhone to hard drive transfer > Tap the “One-Click Backup.”
Step 3: Restore the backup
After completing the backup, go to “Backup Manager,” click the “Restore,” and restore the backup from the external hard drive.
- Fast data transfer without losing data.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Clean UI.
- It offers limited file transfer in the free version.
- It cannot rebuild the iTunes Library.
Finally, you have gathered knowledge regarding different transferring platforms to back up the iPhone to an external hard drive with and without iTunes. No doubt, all of our top selected tools will provide you with incredible transferring results. Thus, choose your suitable option and follow the instructions you have learned.