Should you consider it or ignore it? Are there any other better alternatives to Lightworks video editor? And what should you know before considering Lightworks? Find out answers to these questions and more stuff about Lightworks in this unbiased Lightworks free video editor review.
Part 1: What Is Lightworks Video Editor?
Available for the general public for a few short years, Lightworks has earned itself a good name in the public domain. There are export limitations with the free trial — and that speaks everything about the software — it means try-before-you-buy-it. Before landing on the internet, Lightworks has been employed in several Hollywood-stage movies like Pulp Fiction and more. The user interface has a powerful VFX panel and surprisingly, it is easy to use.
- The narrative-based timeline allows you to edit the videos comprehensively — drag and drop support, and all the standard insert, replace, and fit-to-fill edit commands.
- Any video file, any format — Lightworks supports them all.
- Share media, bins, and edits in real-time with full permissions control over which user has which access.
- Simple, yet powerful trim functions that all levels of editors can 100% rely on.
- An astounding library of hundreds of preset effects & animations is included in Lightworks Pro.
- Enhance your next video with 100s of 2D & 3D titles and text animation effects.
Part 2: How Does Lightworks Video Editor work?
Lightworks Video editor, well, is like any other program. You will have to install the program and run it on the computer. Here’s a step-by-step tutorial to help you to do that:
Note. The free version of the Lightworks video editing software could help you do miracles, but if you are looking to access more advanced features, we recommend you opt in for the pro edition.
Step 1. Creating a new project:
- Click “Create a new project.”on the main section of the lightworks video editing software interface. Once you do so, you’ll find options to name the project, the frame rates, and the continue button. Choose the desired frame rate, and in case you want a mixed frame rate — choose Mixed Rates.
- On the next interface, you will find a log tab.
Step 2. Import Source Materials:
- You can either drag and drop files or choose the files from the local library via the Local tab. In case you want to import multiple files — press the Ctrl or Shift button to choose all the files.
Step 3. Playback in the viewer:
- To see the progress of the edited video, just select the list and double-click over it. On doing that, the video will be launched in the source viewer instantly.
Step 4. Edit the video clips:
- To trim the videos, you need to hover the mouse around the cut sections you wish to trim. Soon it will display white brackets leaving only the part of the video that has not been cut off, and you need to click the left button of the mouse over there.
Note: This is just a basic introduction to the software. You could do a hell of a lot more using the Lightworks video editor.
Part 3: Pros & Cons Of Lightworks video editor
Pros of Lightworks:
- A very clean interface makes the tool simple to use that even novice users could utilize to their benefit.
- Impressive range of import and export options.
- With the help of the forum, you could find tons of additional content like effects — that could help you save a lot of time.
Cons of Lightworks:
- Project frame rate limits import
- Lacking in effects tools
- Performance issue — you will need a computer with enough resources to run the program well
- Lightworks Pro version is expensive
- There aren’t enough tutorials for beginners to handle the software well
Part 4. Top 5 Alternatives to Lightworks
Not interested in Lightworks? Well, you could try out these five best alternatives to Filmora and perform all those things that Lightworks offers. That said, here is the list of the five best alternatives to Lightworks Pro.
Wondershare’s Filmora is a simple-to-use yet feature-rich video editing tool that allows you to transform normal-shooted videos into professionally filmed clips. Initially aimed at the average users, Filmora is now a favorite of both experts as well as beginners. The application is compatible with both Windows and macOS machines. Cross-platform video editing is possible.
- Utilize up to 100 layers of media and turn complex projects into compelling stories
- Apply transitions, motion elements, filters, and more to any video track.
- Layer video clips and other media and apply effects like green screen, blending modes, and more.
- AI Portrait (add on) — to pick up video highlights and automatically create the videos
- Cloud Files – Synchronize multiple files and use them across applications.
Pros of Filmora:
- Inexpensive and cost-effective — gives you more for less
- Pleasing interface accommodates both newbies and experts alike
- Tons of effects and overlays
- Exceptional title and text tools
- Ultra-fast rendering
Cons of Filmora:
- No DVD menu or chapter authoring options
A free and open-source platform, Blender presents one of the best 3D technologies in the hands of artists. Available across all platforms, Blender has everything you need to create a Story Art. A fully-featured 3D creation suite, Blender pipeline allows modeling, rigging, animation, and a lot more. Plus, its highly intuitive user interface makes it very easy to navigate for users at all levels.
- Built-in powerful unbiased path tracer engine — Cycle — that permits best-in-class rendering
- Full N-Gon, the Advanced sculpting tools, and brushes, the Multi-resolution and Dynamic subdivision, tools for 3D painting with textured brushes and masking, and Edge slide, inset, grid and bridge fill, and more — make Blender a comprehensive
Pros of Blender:
- Flexible python controlled interface — be it the size, color, or other tweaks — users could adjust them effortlessly on their own
- This tool is 100% free.
- The interface of the software allows both first-time-user as well as existing editors to create stunning 2D and 3D animated stories
Cons of Blender:
- Too many options and tools make the application cumbersome for new users, often confusing and consuming their time
- Like most applications out there, Blender can crash from time to time — Filmora is a much more stable option offering all that Blender has in its documentation
3. VEGAS Pro
VEGAS Pro is another amazing video editing software that offers a wide range of features anyone could need to create a professional-looking video. Having HDR color correction, live streaming, and sound design options, VEGAS Pro allows you to produce fast, high-quality edits while staying focused on your story. All in all, VEGAS Pro is one such tool that either suits your style or not, there is a learning curve but once you master the tool — it might become your only choice for video editing.
- Availability of Multicam editing option with hundreds of filters, effects, transitions, and titles.
- Customized workflow, shortcuts & layouts, Scripting API to transform your videos into something new.
- Supports a wide range of video and audio tracks for users to explore.
Pros of VEGAS Pro:
- Professional tools and customizing options to create professional videos
- The software has been used in Academy Awarded movies like Lord of the rings, Harry Potter, and Spider-Man — speaks of its fineness.
Cons of Vegas Pro:
- The support is limited
- Autosave option is not intuitive to save the projects during-or-after a crash
A video editor aimed at beginners, HitFilm has professional-grade VFX tools to make your videos look the way you want. Given that the software is free and specially made for beginners — HitFilm is one of the best free video editing software that you could get your hands on.
- Powerful rigging and modeling tools to create a fully-featured animated short film, ads, promotional videos, and more
- Combine 2D with 3D right in the viewport, Full Animation Support with Onion Skinning, Layers & Colors for Stroke and Fill, Sculpt brush strokes & Parent to 3D objects — to create Story Arts
Pros of HitFilm:
- Intuitive interface with a fast learning curve
- Over 100 hours of free tutorials and masterclass
Cons of HitFilm:
- Powerful VFX options are limited to the Pro version.
- The application might lag at some point.
5. Olive Video Editor
A free and open-source cross-platform software, Olive Video Editor is a suitable option for users who need an advanced video editing tool for free. This tool boasts advanced editing tools that make the video editing process just like a walk in the Park. Besides, the clean interface makes the software user-friendly and very easy to navigate by users at all levels.
- Transform RAW high dynamic high range clips into professionally-tuned movies
- Availability of a built-in AI learning module designed for creativity and accelerated editing.
Pros of Olive Video Editor:
- Heavily supported by the users — so there is a good chance of its becoming best with each day passing
- Simple interface
Cons of Olive Video Editor:
- Both the editions of the software — 0.1 and 0.2 — are in development stages.
Part 5: FAQs
Is Lightworks video editor free?
Although being an advanced editing tool that does have a paid plan, Lightworks is also available for free. Of course, most of the features are limited in the free version, especially the export options that are available compared to the paid version. Still, in comparison to most other similar software out there, Lightworks is a much more flexible option.
What does Lightworks Pro do?
There are some features that are excluded in the free version like limited export options. Other features are the Lightworks Gratis plugin that comes only with the pro and outright options.
Does Lightworks’ video editing tool support cracked versions?
No! Lightworks video editing tool require license purchase before one can use it.
As you have seen, the Lightworks editing tool is an advanced video editor. The software was previously used by the Hollywood video editors — and that in itself — speaks a lot about the software. The feature set is awesome, and you could do a lot utilizing the software. Also, there are reliable alternatives to the Lightworks video editing software a. Hence, you could make an informed decision and choose one that best suits your interest.